Saturday, October 31, 2009

Logicomix: An Epic Search for Truth

Well, lets start with a rather refreshing "Hello world" opening.

There's a comic out there trying to popularize some of the most important developments in fundamental Mathematics, Logics and Philosophy of the 20th century, in a witty and accessible way. I am yet to read Logicomix myself, but it is well on the way to my local library.

Why making more hype then? Well, one reason is that the creators are arguably two of the most famous Greek Logicians/Computer Scientists, namely Christos H. Papadimitriou and Αpostolos Doxiadis. Having been taught an undergraduate course based on Papadimitrou's book I am quite enthusiastic to see what the comic might be. Of course, the greater factor is being tremendously interested in the field and one of the many Hofstadter junkies out there. By the media coverage it seems Logicomix could well be in the class of quality as "Gödel, Escher, Bach" so I am definitely looking forward to getting my hands on a flashy printed copy.

Oh, and the official sneak-peak previews are really promising too.

P.S. This should already be giving a strong hint to what this blog will be about, feel free to hang around and have some fun.

Coming soon...
Deep thoughts ahead

1 comment:

  1. I have read Logicomix and found it extremeley enjoyable shortly after I wrote this post.

    I warmly extend my recommendation to experience the human perspective of the development of Formal Logic in the 20th century, in a very believable, comical and fascinating exposition.

    A definite must read for anyone philosophically, mathematically or logically inclined victims of curiosity.

    ReplyDelete